In December, I had the privilege of attending a special literacy conference in Atlanta Georgia. Not only did we receive excellent professional development and direction for providing more rigor in our primary grade comprehension lessons, but in the evenings, we played tourist in the big city - we walked to fashionable restaurants and took the underground train to Olympic Park. After the conference I toured the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Museum, CNN and the Coca Cola Factory.
My colleagues and I with David Liben.
The long, long escalator from the underground train to street level...
Shelly and Lindsey, colleagues who traveled with me to Georgia
Holiday spirit near the Coca Cola Museum.
Georgia skyline - I loved how the clouds and shiny windows reflected the setting sun.
Olympic Park
Dancing fountains...
High above the city...
I don't normally drink pop, but I tried at least twenty different kinds of Coca Cola sold around the world (small sips) at the Coca Cola museum. Still not a fan...
My colleague, Amy and her mother who flew up from Florida to spend some precious time with her daughter. They graciously let me hang out with them on the day after the conference.
CNN headquarters - we took the royal tour!
This is the newsroom - breaking news turns into world headlines right here -
Yes, I even got to try my hand at being a news anchor woman. I had to read from a rolling teleprompter - tricky, but fun.
We visited the church where Martin Luther King Jr. preached his message of peaceful resistance to prejudice and hate.
Martin's eternal flame
A mural outside the museum tells the story of Martin's short life.
The long walk...
Amy, her mother and I, ended our museum visit by being rescued by Lindsey and her Uncle who gave us a ride back to the hotel - we discovered too late that the museum was in a part of town not frequented by many taxis or reliable public transportation...
It was a tender mercy that Lindsey and her Uncle also happened to be at the museum at the exact same time we were - we discovered each other just minutes before the museum closed for the night.








No comments:
Post a Comment