Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Woburn Abbey




May 28th - After an evening spent watching Pride and Prejudice, (do I hear a collective "sigh" ladies?) we were all set to see a historical and palatial English manor. The next morning, Doug drove us to Woburn Abbey. Did I mention that they drive on the "wrong" side of the street over here? A simple car trip takes on new terror when you see people coming towards you in "your" lane. I desperately wanted to get a picture of the "Elderly People Crossing" signs that we saw as we wound through narrow city lanes on our way to the Abbey.
Woburn Abbey is a huge estate, home to the Dukes of Bedford (for nearly four hundred years, the pamphlet reads). We wandered through rooms filled with statuary, original art, fine china, silver and gold. My favorite room was Queen Victoria's bedroom - her royal resting place displayed like a museum piece and left as a shrine after the Queen spent a few nights there.

No comments: