Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Visit to the Nanking Massacre Memorial Museum - July 4
























Over 300,000 citizens were killed. Here's what my friend Bonnie wrote in her journal about it: "The last tour we took was to the Nanking massacre museum. It was the most troubling thing I have seen so far. There were 300,000 men, women, and children that were brutally butchered in a 6 week period of time by the Japanese. The Japanese troops took over Nanking on December 13, 1937 and by January 1938 all those people were killed. The individual stories were the most horrific." I agree with Bonnie, I had to divert my eyes away from some of the exhibits, they were so graphic and disturbing. I understand why there is still a strong prejudice against the Japanese people in China... The last statue in the gardens, before you exit, is a woman holding a torch aloft - on the base is inscribed "Peace" in English, Japanese and Chinese. Perhaps there is still hope for forgiveness and friendship after all.

No comments: